It is essential to have a solid understanding of both the CAT syllabus and the CAT exam pattern in order to perform well on the Common Admission Test.
CAT EXAM PATTERN: CAT Overview
The entrance exam that is given the most frequently for MBA admissions is the Common Admission Test, which must be passed in order to enrol in prestigious business schools. Additionally, it is the examination that all IIMs give each year. The IIMs and other prestigious schools will accept applications for the class of 2024–26 from students who take the CAT in 2023 and receive results that are deemed sufficient. This essay will go into great detail regarding the CAT exam pattern’s structure as well as the CAT curriculum.
In order for educational institutions to consider students who are interested in enrolling in MBA programmes for further consideration, they must take this exam, comprehend how it is designed, and achieve a score higher than the minimum required.
The highlights of CAT 2023 are as follows:
|Exam Name||CAT (Common Admission Test)|
|Conducting Body||The Indian Institute of Management|
|Total No. of Questions||66|
|Types of Questions||MCQs and TITA|
|Sections in the Exam||3 Sections VARC, DILR and QA|
|Medium of Exam||English|
CAT EXAM PATTERN: CAT APPLICATION
- To sign up for the CAT (Common Admission Test) 2023, follow these steps:
- Click the “Register” button on the CAT website’s official domain, iimcat.ac.in.
- Before creating a login ID and password, enter your name, birthdate, email address, mobile number, and other basic contact information.
- After registration, you will receive an email confirmation with your login details.
- By entering your login details, submit an application for a CAT.
- Include your address, educational background, employment history (if any), and other relevant information along with your contact and academic information.
- Select the IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management) and other organisations that are accepting applications.
- Send scanned copies of your identification documents, including your portrait, signature, and category certificate. (if applicable).
- Online application fees can be paid with a credit card, debit card, or through net banking.
- Submit the form once the application process is finished, and then print the confirmation page for your records.
- The CAT 2023 application fee is expected to be around Rs. 2200 for general category applicants and Rs. 1100 for SC, ST, and PWD applicants. At the time of registration, the conducting authority will disclose the exact price amount.
CAT EXAM PATTERN: CAT ADMIT CARD
The results of the Common Admission Test (CAT) are typically released in January, preferably during the second week of the month. The CAT 2023 results are expected to be released in the second week of January 2024.
By entering their login ID and password, candidates can access their results on the official CAT website, iimcat.ac.in. The candidate’s percentile score overall as well as percentile ratings for each section are included on the CAT scorecard.
The participating institutes will publish their individual cutoffs after the results are announced, and candidates who meet them will be contacted for additional selection processes like group discussions, one-on-one interviews, and written ability tests.
To apply for admission to an MBA or other management programmes during the current academic year, students who failed the CAT exam on their first try must retake it. The fact that the CAT percentile scores are only good for a year is important to remember.
CAT EXAM PATTERN: CAT ELIGIBILITY
The applicants are required to review the eligibility requirements for the CAT and learn the CAT exam pattern in order to avoid any last-minute chaos. The following is a list, broken down by category, of the CAT eligibility criteria for CAT 2023:
Candidates for the CAT exam are required to hold a bachelor’s degree from an institution that is recognised, despite the field of study in which they have completed their undergraduate work.
Students who are currently in their final year of school and will receive their diploma in 2023 are also eligible to take the CAT.
The minimum percentage requirements for CAT eligibility have been removed. Previously, these necessities stood at 45% for general categories and 50% for reserved categories.
The CAT Test has no upper age limit.
There are no predetermined requirements that must be met in order to be eligible for candidature for the CAT, and these qualifications include previous work experience. When it comes to gaining experience, there are no limits to what you can do. As a direct consequence of this, individuals with a wide range of levels of experience are able to take the examination. However, admissions officers at some schools of business do take previous work experience into consideration when making decisions.
NUMBER OF ATTEMPTS
The number of times one can take the CAT exam is unlimited. You are free to make as many appearances as you like.
|Schedule Cast (SC)||15%|
|Schedule Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC)||27%|
|PWD(Persons with Disability)||3%|
CAT EXAM PATTERN: RESULTS
Results for the CAT (Common Admission Test) are typically released in January, preferably during the second week of the month. In the second week of January 2024, it is predicted that the CAT 2023 results will be made public.
Candidates can access their results on the official CAT website by entering their login ID and password. The candidate’s overall percentile score and section-by-section percentile score will be included on the CAT scorecard.
Following the results announcement, the participating institutes will publish their individual cutoffs, and candidates who meet the cutoff requirements will be approached for further selection procedures such as group talks, one-on-one interviews, and written ability tests.
Students who did not pass the CAT exam on their first attempt must retake it in order to apply for admission to an MBA or other management programs during the current academic year. It’s important to keep in mind that the CAT percentile scores are only valid for one year.